Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Every little thing...

Is gonna be alright =)



I'm not sure if you're familiar with this song or not, but it's my motto these days. I first found the profound meaning of it while pregnant with our little Princess. My pregnancy was far from smooth from the beginning. I was put on bed rest at 8 weeks with a husband who was constantly going out to sea and two boys who were 2 and 4 when she was born. It was a very difficult time and frustrating to know that it didn't matter that the doctor's orders were for me to rest to save my baby, I had to care for the two I already had, too. I listened to this song EVERY DAY multiple times throughout and it got me through that pregnancy. She ended up coming 2 weeks early, but so did my boys, so it all worked out and every little thing was alright!


We still listen to this song every day and it's a favorite amongst the little ones. It makes me smile every time I hear my boys singing the lyrics and watching my daughter dance and jabber to it.

So, here we are, singing this song again! Anton's appointment went amazingly well on Monday. We now have a diagnosis and guess what? It wasn't Asperger's, ADHD, OR neuromuscular disorder! Anton has what they call "dyspraxia" and it basically means his brain doesn't process motor functions like most people do. He has trouble with every day things that we all take for granted, like spreading cheese on a cracker, brushing his teeth, tying his shoes, to even writing. It makes it very difficult for him to sequence so for him to tell you what letter comes after L he's going to have to start all the way from A to figure it out. Same goes with numbers. She says as he gets older we'll have to teach him to organize himself so that he will remember all the small things he needs daily, such as which books to take to school or his schedule for the day. I'm sure it will be a learning process for us all, but atleast now we KNOW why he has so much trouble and we can make a plan to help him succeed.

A huge weight has been lifted because there are those who have called him a child who acts out or ill mannered and he isn't any of those things. He becomes upset easily, yes, but now looking at his situations we can try to make people understand WHY he becomes upset and what we can do to help him. I know our schedule is about to be added to because he'll need to start physical therapy and speech therapy along with the occupational therapy he already receives. He'll also have to be in summer learning programs more than likely all the way through middle school and possibly high school as well.

Thank you for your prayers and well wishes. I truly do appreciate them more than you could know and it's really a blessing to have gotten this appointment and a diagnosis on the first visit.

If you would like to know more about dyspraxia you can find information HERE or HERE. I am now on the mission of getting him an IEP(Individualized Education Program) so that he can start getting the help and services at school as well. Does anyone else have a child with dyspraxia here? I'd love to hear your story!

No comments: